Thursday, August 20, 2015

Yearly Family Visits with the Doctors

 
Paul has an appointment with his PCP at the end of this month and since I will be in the area I plan on going. It has been awhile since I went and I feel it is important that family meet with his PCP once a year or so. There are so many miscommunications due to whoever attends the visit and what their focus or concerns may be...and these sometimes have nothing to do with Paul but their "other" clients or they forget info...(see cartoon cartoon--->)
Well...if YOU would have said that in the 1st place!!!
 
 
I often wonder how the caregivers do it? So much to go over and so little time when they have several clients needing care...at all levels....
 
THIS is the REASON it is VERY VERY VERY Important for Family involvement as often as possible...especially when 3 guardians turns into 1 lives out of the area of their TBI family member's home town.
 
MY PLAN:


I begin a couple weeks ahead of the scheduled visit connecting with all his services.
 
First, I go into the Services Communication center (aka Therap) and see what has been happening since I last was in...which usually is about a week and half. The past two to three months there has been very little in communication on the daily notes and emails I sent each month. One does really great but the others are not doing so well and these are the ones I need soooo
 
Second, I send out a new round of emails letting them I know I am coming to town and will be taking Paul to his doctor's appointment. I also ask all my questions and let them know that I need more frequent and more detailed daily communications and the reasons I have for this...usually medical and care concerns that need addressed. (this tends to get a response...and quickly)
 
WHY?
                    Simply because Paul's Guardian is coming to town...
                                               and WILL notice everything that is being done and
            NOT being done
(Gets them BACK on their toes and attentive)
 
Third, I contact his PCP to let him know the family will be at this appointment. This way he knows we will look at what has happened, is happening and get a plan in place on where to go for Paul for the next 6 months to a year. (Proactive approach...not reactive)
 
BELIEVE me when I say that WITHOUT Family involvement and communication there will be things that are:
                                 * Missed
                                 * Forgotten
                                 * Never Done 
                                 * Not Followed through with
 
AND
 
We have to start ALL over again at the next appointment or meeting with Family!
This leads to A LOT of stress, worry and discomfort for Paul.
 
Inclosing...when this happens Paul and his humor turns into this....

 NOT PRETTY BY NO STRETCH OF THE IMAGINATION!!!! (LOL)
 
 



No comments:

Post a Comment